Tuesday 19 November 2013

Ceremonial Small Plates - Thailand

Some 30 years ago, I found these assorted pieces of ceremonial plates belonging to my ancestors being stored away in boxes at my grandfather's house in Thailand.




 These plates with raised stands were often being used by my grandparents for ceremonial religious occasions.





Usually small offerings like fruits, flowers and altar offerings are placed onto these plates during the wedding or religious ceremonies in Thailand.



They are not dated anywhere on the plates but we all know that they were made in China over a hundred years ago.




 Close-up View.



3 comments:

  1. Very nice, Must be worth a lot now. Do you use them to put very small portion of food?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think these pieces found its way to the Old Siam from China as Thailand didn't produce them in old days. They have plenty of perfect looking reproductions today whereas all my old pieces don't look alike.

      I never used any pieces of antiques as they are so fragile and I am very clumsy & rough.

      Delete
    2. You are right. Antiques are not meant to be used.

      Delete