Sunday 3 June 2012

Unusual Green Tea Pot

 This unusual green tea pot captured my attention during an evening browse across a China man's flea market. I took a good stare at it as I could not understand the functions and usage of this tea pot that has no cover or lid on top to insert boiling water and tea leaves. You have to fill it beneath into a hole.


 This top view shows an insect perching on this young bamboo shoot or tapioca plant.



 I am unable to determine its production age but it is certainly heavy and old. I will get an expert's opinion to read the embossed stamp below. The height is 6 inches and the width is 8 inches.








The hole beneath puzzles me for many days with no answers. Could it be a tea pot to contain the soya sauce or black vinegar? I welcome your opinion.



3 comments:

  1. Is this a water fountain for a garden? water goes into the hole at the bottom and comes out of the sprout?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muahahaha... They had no fountains in ancient China's history. I had no idea what it was in 2012 but saw some similar odd looking tea pots in the China's museums later on. This is like a magical tea pot with absurd functions to pour or refill inside from below without any spills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read from wiki here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_garden the word fountains are mentioned twice.

      Delete